Chicken breast with red lentil sauce – Tana Ramsay’s Family Kitchen
Ingredients – serves 4 kids
1 medium onion, finely chopped (or blitzed to a paste in my case!)
4 tbsp olive oil
1 clove garlic
200g carrots diced
75g red lentils
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp harissa paste (optional)
400g tin chopped tomatoes
250g basmati rice
3 chicken breasts
1 tsp soft brown sugar
- To make the sauce, gently fry the onion in half of the oil until soft, add the garlic and fry for another 2 minutes.
- Add the carrots and fry on a low heat for around 5 minutes before stirring in the red lentils. Add the puree and Harissa paste and coat all of the vegetables before adding the tomatoes and water. Simmer this all on a low heat with the lid on for 40 minutes.
- When the sauce is cooked, pass through a mouli or sieve using the back of a wooden spoon to help.
- Put the rice on to cook in a pan of boiling water.
- Chop up the chicken into 2 cm cubes and fry in a heavy bottomed saucepan in the oil until going golden.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and bring to the boil. Put on the lid and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with the rice (and parsley).